Thursday, November 27, 2008

About the Idiot's Guide to Blogs

Let's get one thing straight right away. I'm not a computer guy. I don't know how to program, I don't know what HTML is, I think Java is something you drink. What I am is a writer. I was one of those stupid people who studied English Literature only to find out later that it has no practical applications. Worst of all, it was only upon graduation that I realized how difficult it is to get people to actually read anything that you write.

Sure, sure, sure, I get the occasional article published on Living in Peru, or Silent Sports, or, of course, in my own blog Streets of Lima, but I don't make enough to pay the rent now do I, so therein lies the rub.

Enter the necessity to learn how to blog.

What I've discovered is that there's a huge amount of information available on the web. The page that I've found to be the most useful in tweaking your blog so that it looks the way you want it to is Tips For New Bloggers. "Tips" deals mainly with programming issues and they give great step by step procedures as to how to change your HTML code.

However, I find that as a blog manager, you end up having to set up accounts in a myriad of sites in order to list your articles, draw traffic, make money, etc., and it would be extremely useful to have links to all those sites available in one place.

Hence, the birth of The Idiot's Guide to Blogs.


My plan is to put the necessary links (adsense, analytics, etc.,) on the left hand side of this page. In the middle, I'm going to post frequent essays about my efforts with the various blog issues that keep crawling out of the dark, enchanted forest and throwing themselves at me. I'll tell you what silly little trick I'm currently working on in order to increase traffic, and I'll post updates discussing how effective it seemed to be. Hopefully all these articles will be tinged more with devilish humor and irony rather than frustrated rage (but I'm not holding my breath on that account).

In my experience, the main problem regarding confusion with blogs is this: programmers are not writers, so though they know what they're talking about they often can't communicate it. My problem is that I know how to communicate, I just don't have any expertise. So, I'm going to go through my muddling efforts of following an expert's procedure step by step, with the hopes that I will be able to clear up any inherent communication problems on the way. See what I'm getting at? The Idiot's Guide to Blogs is going to be an amalgam between the writer and the programmer, a perfect union, a divine acropolis (it's too infrequent where you can correctly use the word "acropolis" in modern times, it's also worth noting that the previous sentence does not constitute an accurate example).

We'll see how it goes, could be this blog will be dead in a month, but you never know!

Good luck, and good blogging!

No comments: