Saturday, November 29, 2008

How to make an All-Posts List

Great! I finally got a decent All-Posts list, you can see it to the right of this article. It's not quite what I wanted in that I was looking for something that could be arranged alphabetically, but what can you do? The main thing was to get rid of the ugly Blogger "Archive" gadget. However, now that I've got the All-Posts list, I think I'm going to leave the Archive gadget up there. All you have to do is change the style from Hierarchy to Flat List and you get a nice little option where visitors can click on a month and are taken to a page that displays every post from that month (and it doesn't look ugly):



But anyway, getting back to the All Posts list. I wrote to The Blog Doctor (another great resources page, although I sometimes have problems with how it loads up). Within about 10 hours (a very fast response time, props to them) they sent me a link to a great set of instructions for putting up your "All-Posts" list. This page has links to two other pages, one which builds the code you need an another which styles it.

Sometimes the instructions you find on web pages assume that you know way more than you do and can thus be frustrating. That wasn't the case here, this instruction is fairly self-explanatory. I'm not going to go through it since that would be stealing content. The only problem you could potentially have is if you have established a RSS feed or ATOM feed different than the default one which comes with Blogger. If you haven't done that, everything mentioned on The Blog Doctor works great.

Good luck with it!

No comments: